Frequently Asked Questions About Microblading
The “hairstroke” method is designed to blend with your natural brow hair, the more hair you have the more realistic results will appear. If you have very little or sparse eyebrow hair results will appear more 2D, and it is possible that you may need more than two sessions to achieve your desired result.
*Please note that final results CAN NOT be guaranteed due to the nature of skin as it heals, and follow-up appointments are recommended at 4-6 weeks where we can asses your pigment retention and make any changes necessary. People with lighter hair, correction work or sparse eyebrows may require more than one follow-up to reach their desired look at an additional cost.
- Bleeding during the procedure: Excessive bleeding during your procedure will greatly affect how your body retains pigment. While this is not entirely in our control, it is important that you follow prep inscructions to help minimize bleeding. This includes avoiding blood thinning medications and alcohol before your procedure.
- Oily Skin: Increased oil production can cause hairstrokes to blur and heal lighter and more powdery.
- Smoking: Smokers may notice that their tattoo will fade faster
- Anemia and iron deficiency: Your body will absorb these iron based pigments more quickly.
- Sun exposure: Increased exposure to the sun will cause premature fading.
- Color of pigment: Lighter colors fade more quickly than darker colors.
- Pregnant or nursing
- Under 18 years old
- Are currently using Accutane or have used Accutane within the past year
- Have a freshly tanned /sunburned face
- Are on blood thinning medications
- Have Rosacea
Please make sure you are heathy enough to receive hairstroke brows before booking an appointment! If you have any concerns about whether or not you are a good candidate for microblading please consider booking a consultation with me!
- If you have reference photos, please feel free to bring those to your appointment
- If you prefer to have your eyebrows waxed/threaded please do so at least 48 hours before your appointment, otherwise we can remove stray hairs after we design your brows.
- If possible, moisturize daily with coconut oil
- You must not use Retin-A near the tattooed area before or after the procedure
- Do not work out the day of your appointment
- You cannot take any medications that may thin your blood (i.e. Asprin, Ibuprofen, fish oil, Vitamin E) 72 hours before or immediately after your procedure
- Do not drink alcohol the night before or day of your procedure
- Avoid caffeine the day of your appointment
- Doing any of the above may cause bleeding, which will affect how well your body retains pigment
As with every tattoo, we recommend avoiding pools, salt water, and extreme sun exposure for at least two weeks following your appointment, so make vacation plans accordingly!
Within a few days (typically 5-10) you will notice some scabbing or flaking on the tattooed area, do not pick at these, doing so can result in loss of pigment in those areas. Brows may appear spotty or patchy until the entire brow has finished exfoliating. You may notice that some areas may appear very light or even to have lost pigment entirely after they have peeled, the epidermis will be thicker causing muting, hiding or diffusing of pigment underneath. The epidermis will normalize over the next 4-6 weeks and softened pigment will resurface and “bloom” back into the surface of the skin.
At 4-6 weeks your brows will be fully healed. If you’d prefer darker, bolder brows we can always add more color or dimension during your follow-up appointment! Pricing for touch-up appointments past 12 weeks can be found in the ‘Pricing’ tab.
A $100 +tax deposit via PayPal is required to ensure you are serious about receiving your tattoo. Your deposit is non-refundable, but goes towards the final price of your tattoo. No appointments will be booked without a deposit and the remainder of your balance is due at the time of your appointment. The Brow Effect accepts cash and all major credit cards credit cards for balances only. Deposits must be paid in cash or via PayPal.